“Hello Blogging World!”
That is perhaps the first thing I would like to say to everyone who’s reading this post. Well you might want to ask me why I’m doing this, so I think I would dedicate this first post to the reasons why I’m writing a blog. But before I go to the specific reasons, I’m going to make a quick introduction about myself. So, here it goes:
My name is Jeremiah Purba. I’m an Indonesian but I was born in Gottingen, Germany on 26th of May 1992. My parents took their PHD at the University of Gottingen and after they finished, I moved back to my homeland when I was 7. I struggled on my two first years in Indonesia since language was my major issue. I could only speak Deutsch at that time. But as time flies, I managed to speak Bahasa as my parents helped me developing it. I studied at Mardi Waluya 2 Bogor Elementary School for 5 years as I have finished my 1st grade before moving to Indonesia. Then, I moved to Regina Pacis Bogor Junior High School. After graduating from the 9th grade, I moved to SMAK 1 BPK Penabur Jakarta. All of them were private schools. My first public school was at the college. As I’m writing this, I’m currently a 3rd Semester student at the Faculty of Law, University of Indonesia.
I’m a christian as I grew up in a dedicated christian family. I’m bataknese as both of my parents came from North Sumatra. So I was basically raised by those two(Batak and Christian) ideology and customs. It builded my perspectives and characters. But I can’t deny that society also took a big part of who I am as an Indonesian. I spent all my school years in homogenous society, by that I mean that majority of my peers were christian. Moving into a public college school, all of my peers came from various backgrounds; religion and tribe.
There are lots of things I’m putting my interests into, which are; music, English football, languages, gadgets, cooking, theology, politics, law, history, and philosophy. As I’m mentioning them, It doesn’t mean that I’m good or should I say an expert on all of those interests. Life goes on; as you learn, grow, and change.
Okay, let’s finish the quick introduction and get into business!
Blogging! What is it? As I typed “blog” on google search engine, it showed me 12,980,000,000 results about it. I’m looking for a definition, so I clicked the wikipedia search result about “blog”. Wikipedia says, “A blog (a blend of the term web log) is a type of website or part of a website. Blogs are usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. Blog can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.”
But you know what? The definition given itself wasn’t the specific reason why I’m doing a blog. To be honest, I didn’t even know what a blog is actually. In addition, I searched the definition of blog itself just at the time I was writing this. So what is it that has actually driven me into this?
- When you first meet someone and you want to know the person in Internet Networking, you must’ve heard this question, “Do you blog?” When it comes to me, it would definitely be a big No. But sometimes I would say, “I’m looking forward making one”, or “I’m not really into writing”, or ” I’ve made one but I haven’t updated it since I first made it.” hahaha. Yeah so the first reason is because of my friends, whether it’s because they asked me to make one or because I’m jealous and curious seeing them writing some awesome stuffs. Yeah, I’ve read couple of my friends blog and most of them were amazing. You can kind of see a different them. You know, they could be totally different when writing. And perhaps it actually helps you to know them or see them better and in a slightly different view. It made me deadly curious and jealous on how awesome they write. It made me really wanting this.
- In my opinion, writing is perhaps the activity you can do to organize your thoughts, ideas, words, and probably life. As far as I’ve known people, I’m by far the most unorganized human being in the planet. I’m not exaggerating but it’s true, because I’ve never really known a person so intimately that I can say that he or she is the most unorganized human being. So yeah, I want to make myself organized. I may describe my brain as a gigantic universe filled with awesome things. It is filled with ideas, thoughts, memories, and creativity floating around waiting to be put into decent book shelf. So you can easily find things that you want. And it’s basically every human being’s brain. I need to organize them decently. I’m a daydreamer. Random awesome ideas often came into me after a chat with a friend, waiting for my bus to come, listening to music in the train, or even when I’m spending a quality time in the toilet. But the problem is, I could easily lost them. So I think it would be really good if I could put them into writings so I won’t easily forget them. By doing so, I could reread them, analyze them, and even improve them, plus, who knows I could made an invention that would later on make the world a better place.
- Putting a new interest in my list would also be great. Writing! I don’t really like doing this activity but I realized that nowadays such skill on is vitally needed. So my next reason is to improve my writing skills. I don’t write a lot, and I have to say the longest time I could spend on writing is only when I’m doing a test. I’ve once wrote a long article for a campus magazine about nationalism. To my surprise, many people showed positive feedback and thought that my article was really nice. I read it again on my own and I think it was a piece of crap compared to other amazing writings. Reading it makes me feel like I could’ve put this one or that one here, I could’ve explained it more specifically, and etc. And just for your information, this feelings always occur after I finished a work on something.. perfection issues. So I know I’m a rookie and I know that I can improve my skills.
- As far as I’ve known myself, I’m pretty used to talking in English orally but writing is a whole different thing. In writing people would definitely spot the vocabularies you’re using. I have to say that I have limited knowledge on vocabularies. There are tons of them and I know that by writing and reading I could actually get to know a lot of them. So, I really want to improve my English vocabularies. I’m going to work in the future and such knowledge is critical in writing so it’s good to start improving it as I still have plenty of time.
- Last but not least, I want to share my thoughts to others. You should know by blogging, others will surely read your writings. People will understand me better. But as much as it’s good for me, I want it to become also useful to others. Maybe it could inspire them, help them, or even entertain them. I can’t guarantee that everyone would get such benefit I mentioned but I hope they would and I’m trying my best to make it inspiring
So I think that would be probably it. There maybe many other reasons, but I think those 5 things are the main big reason. You may think that it’s a little too late for me to star a blog, but hey, it’s better than not at all.
I’m looking forward to this more often, so catch you later on my next thoughts!
“I don’t dream at night, I dream all day; I dream for a living.” Steven Spielberg